1. Download virtualbox.
2. Download a ready-to-go vm instance.
3. Expand the vm instance to desired size.
4. In instance, create a user and setup samba share.
5. In virtualbox host, create 2 network adapter, one “NAT” and one “host only”, that way the centos instance can only share files to the host machine. Using vboxsf sharing option is way TOO SLOWWW.
6. Set up LAMP or any other web server in the vm instance. To access the sites in the vm instance, configure the host file in the host to point to the instance. To access the files in the vm instance, just connect to the vm via samba.
7. Now, there is a flexibility of development in host machine or vm (Up to the developer). The vm instance can run the httpd server while changes to the files can be done in any OS.